Monday, April 26, 2021

Painting and Door Knobs

April 21st - 26th 2021

I admit, my blog is more a story about trial and error.  I am not a miniature artist or builder with any experience - all I know is from what I try to accomplish and sometimes it works and sometimes doesn't. It's a hobby that presents challenges to me in finding the best and more effective way to create an object or a look that I have envisioned - but that really doesn't exist. This is why I enjoy it - but for you, maybe it's boring reading about my constant fails - dropping pieces, splinters, burns.... The dangers of "screwing around" with things I really have no business doing. Well, it's fun for me - and hope you enjoy my creative endeavours and I look forward to finishing this project! Hopefully it won't take as long as the Japanese Dollshouse did.....

Anyway, I finished painting the first panel white including the window panes. They were easily removed but to put them back in I had to sand down the sides a bit. Course they were quite loose coming out so I thought they’d fit snuggly going back in - but they were a bit too snug. So quick slight sanding did the trick. At least now I won’t have to glue them in place and I know that all the others I should just put a very light wash on the external frame to save time from sanding.  I hate painting - I think it’ll be easier if I just give them a slightly diluted paint job and a second hand rather than straight paint from the tube.

I decided to paint a door panel next.  The doors are pinned into the frame so I had to be sure that when I removed them (or even if I should) they’d go back in easily.  I have never done a build with a pin hinged door (the Ryokan dollhouse just had sliding doors) so after checking info on this kit it seemed ok to remove the bottom pin and slide the door out. Which I did, only to have the top pins fall out and onto the floor.  Ho-hum.  Boring. How many times have I dropped miniature parts on the floor which of course hasn’t been swept for weeks?  Anyway, I used my trusty dust pan and brush and found the missing pegs after about 10 minutes of cleaning/searching.  I pulled out the second door panel and took those out now since I will probably paint that panel next anyway.  I then removed the panes from the doors and carefully made sure I put each with its own door as they are also a snug fit.  I sanded down the areas where the tapes they used to stabilize pieces during shipping had left some gummy residue and put masking tape on the “window” panes since those are not removable.  I was then prepped for painting.
Masking off the windows for painting

 

First door done, second to finish.
After painting more, I had to clean the window pane since the dirt and grime had accumulated a bit there. I used some alcohol and cotton and a cotton swab to get it fairly clean. Course it’s impossible to get it perfectly clean.  I then checked the other door to find out which side was inside and outside (since the panes get installed on the outside) and managed to coax the window panels into place. Again, nice snug fit because of the small amount of paint on the inner part of the door frame. That done, I tackled the second door in the same manner and fit its pane as well.  Next up, door handle and embellishments.
Doors painted and trial fit.
I had seen a really nice antique door with kick panels on the bottom. I really like the idea that the Tea House would have some kind of bottom protection for the front door.  I mean, the idea is that people have always been coming in and out and banging up the doors with pots and plants etc. Then once it was refurbished, they just decided to leave the kick panels and give them a quick brushing.  I recently had our front door rejuvenated after 20+ years and so much wear due to weather that I noticed that the front brass door knob was pretty tarnished and sad looking.  The guy that did the work said no need for chemicals, you just give the door knob a good rubbing with steel wool.  He left us a nice size piece since the materials were already paid for in the renovations so I used that to burnish and blemish the panels. You can see the difference on the left where I rubbed the brass and let the black residue shed off onto the door. I did the right side one to match them up a bit.

Cutting the lamina, again.

Gluing the door kicks into place.

Burnished areas and dirt added on the left.
Next up was the door handle.  I bought door handles (two) because I had no intention of adding actual handles to the back doors - although I may change my mind later. Also, thinking how doors usually work, I really only needed one on the outside and one on the inside of the working entrance door.  The left door is what would swing open - not the right.  As a shop, they could prop open the right door during business hours but the entrance is really just on the one side. Or it is for now. Anyway, the doorknobs did not come with screws (grrr) so I had to steal 4 screws from a tiny hinge kit.  They of course were super difficult to pick up and put into the respective holes but I eventually got the front door knob on.  I dug out a little more wood for where the key would go (which will be on the inside only) and fixed the knob and screws with a drop of glue here and there.  I then decided to glue the other two screws onto the door knob plate thinking it would be easier to just tap them into the wood on the back of the door to fix them in place. It would have been had I not forgotten to mark the holes on the back of the door.  Ok, pulled them out and tried again. The key won’t fit right now since I need to dig out a little more wood but they look good! They are just propped in place as I still have so much more painting to do - but I did put them in a zip lock bag in case the knobs come away and the screws come out - I’ll never be able to find them again if I didn’t.

Doors propped into their frames

Well, sorry for the long entry - to make it up to you, check out this room fragrance Cedrato di Firenze made by Wally Cosmetici - its inspiration being the Bizzarria Lemon of course !! It is the most wonderful fragrance spray especially in the kitchen. Check out their site and hopefully you can find it close to home -

“Bizzarria”, chimera, legend and love spell

Introduced in the citrus fruit collection of the Medici Gardens, it comes from the

countryside of Pietrasanta (Lu).

Cedrato di Firenze is the most fragrant and sweet of all lemons

"For its grateful smell superior to all the others”- Wally Cosmetici, Montemurlo (PO) Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment