Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Miniaturitalia 2021

April 20th 2021

As I had mentioned before, recently there was Miniaturitalia this year which was held on line only.  I have gone to this fair in the past when I needed objects for my Japanese Ryokan project so some of the artisans I already knew.  But being on line, I was able to set up an appointment with one or two to meet them and chat exclusively - something that was impossible during the normal show - and then make purchases.  So, here are some of the purchases I made:

Lilliput’s Treasures who has an Etsy shop. Lots of interesting odd and ends. I found a ouija board and a miniature jar of lemon jam. There were other things of the lemony nature but they were not available when I made the purchases - so will have to check back soon. Yes, some of these objects are available all over or from sites out of Asia but this shop is in Italy and I really wanted to give some biz to local people.

I then bought some objects from ELISACREAZIONIMINI. She had some breads and sandwiches that I liked plus a cheese board. Yes, I know, I could probably make these and I probably will try in the future but having some already made bakery products was easier right now.  The cheese board is basic and will need to be pimped a little but I am glad the cheese pieces are not glued in place meaning I can do what I want with the presentation or use them in a charcuterie board or something.  I like the rosette sandwiches - very typical Italian sandwich.

One of my favorite mini artists is Oiseau deNim Miniatures - Peiwen.  She is an expat (from Taiwan I believe) living in France.  She is very talented! Her pieces are unique and very well executed.  I bought a few stainless steel modeling tools from her as I am hoping to try out modeling in polymer clays at some point. But her rendering of objects like labeled tea tins or a plate of French foie gras is mind blowing. (Check out her baskets of sliced bread!)I had contacted her as I knew she did orchids in the past but right now she is concentrating on framed antique paintings. She sells all kinds of molds and stamps for making your own plants or even light bulbs. Just a super shop. I will come back to her when I need something particular.

The other artisan that I had to buy from was Elisabeth Causeret (she doesn’t even have an Etsy shop!) but she did provide a link to the items she sells so I was able to check out all the pages of her brochure and order what I needed.  She makes seriously the tiniest ceramics on the face of the earth. A few years ago I bought cracklè pieces that were so refined. I do not think I have ever seen anyone that produces objects this small.  Her prices are more than reasonable given the detail (see below the teapot, teacups etc.) She works in stoneware, porcelain and red clay as well. Stunning! She is French and since I speak no French and she speaks no English or Italian it’s always fun buying from her. But she is an exquisite lady and her objects will become heirlooms.

I did end up making other purchases but not from people who showed at the fair. There were obviously fewer exhibitors than usual since I think a lot of artisans were not sure how this would work out.  It’s the first time they’ve done it here. I think it was very successful.  I believe they thought so too because they extended it into the week after it was supposed to officially close.  So even with the virus, at least these mini business people are still working.

Miniaturitalia 2021 purchases

Elisabeth Causeret miniatures

So, let’s end this post with a recipe - lemon curd. Yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment